Sunday, January 11, 2009

What's the big deal?


So, I'm a stay at home mom. Like many stay at home mothers, and women in general, I get a little tired of the monotony of cleaning. However for the most part I don't mind doing things. for instance, Laundry doesn't take much effort and folding it allows me to sit down for a couple minutes. or I do it for the end result...who doesn't love it when their bathroom is sparkly clean? I might fall into the weird category for how much I enjoy sweeping though. haha!
anyway, this post is about dishes! Truth be told I don't like anything about doing dishes, I don't like scrubbing them, loading them into the machine or pulling them out and putting them away! even the site of my cupboards full of clean dishes isn't enough for me to do it without complaint. Oh, and no matter how many soaps I try I don't like the smell of dishwasher detergent, not sure why.
I've tried several things to keep me motivated enough to regularly keep my sink empty and shining as pictured above. I run the machine at night and unload in the morning and strive to put the dishes straight into the machine but....
somewhere along the line I don't follow through. Most likely just pure laziness and my loathing of this chore are behind it but whatever the reason I don't like doing my dishes! I even put up a little poem about doing dishes right in my line of sight at the sink to encourage me to be thankful, and willing with this chore of chores:

"Thank God for dirty dishes
they have a tale to tell.
for while other folks go hungry
we're eating very well.
with a wealth of happiness
it's very hard to fuss.
by this stack of evidence
God's very good to us."

It only works some of the time... :D
And so, I will continue to strive after a clean and empty sink but I don't know that I'll ever come to enjoy it. However, two days ago I was cooking a pizza in the oven, the sink was full and the machine needed to be unloaded. I glanced at the timer and it showed I had 7minutes and 36 seconds till the food was ready. And so I started to unload, and then I reloaded, and then I scrubbed down the sink. Not to mention that I had to get Gwennie out of the cupboards several times and I also stopped and parented Gabriel. So it wasn't even like I was rushing! Do you know that I finished the entire process in LESS than those 7 minutes and 36 seconds! and thus the purpose of this post, I began to wonder to myself, what's the big deal about doing the dishes? The answer? I may never truly know.