Tuesday, January 08, 2008

a walk with jane austen


For Christmas i was given a book called "a walk with Jane Austen" by Lori smith. i have gotten to about the middle of the book so far and am quite enjoying it. it makes me want to travel more, and also to re-read all of Austen's books. (which i received for Christmas last year! thanks mom!)
reading always takes me to another world that i have a hard time pulling myself away from. i revel in the distance from my own life and in disappearing into whatever subject i am reading. be it a romantic love story, a true story of historic events, a fantasy world that doesn't exist, i love pretending i am there. however, as i stated before, i have the hardest time pulling myself out of those worlds, i tend to act according to what i have just read and how it makes me feel. this might not be so strange were i all alone in the comfort of my house when it happens. but usually that is not the case, and so my dear husband must put up with my sudden moodiness as i brood over some fictional character's tragic situation, or my sudden desire to be disgustingly romantic and sentimental. i don't fully understand why i feel the need to take on the stories i have read as if they were my own, changing in and out of them like costumes. i begin to wonder if it's my love of costumes and the ability to change your character in life for a moment that causes me to do this. or is it a deep boredom of my own quiet life?
i am not entirely sure of the answer, and don't plan on changing. for now I'll just continue to disappear into books and enjoy every minute of it.
by the way, one of my favorite books in the fantasy genre is Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.
i just found out that it is being made into a movie! i'm so excited! :)